Military Topics

MyCAA Eligibility Requirements: Who Can Apply for MyCAA?

Tired of moving from job to job?

Military spouses do that a lot, unfortunately. Luckily, there’s a program that helps spouses find their footing a bit faster.

The Military Spouse Career Advancement Account Scholarship (MyCAA) was created to help spouses pay for professional credentials that make job hunting more efficient with each PCS move.

The MyCAA scholarship offers up to $4,000 in tuition assistance to eligible spouses to earn a certificate, license, certification, or associate’s degree to stabilize their careers. Best of all? Any educational institution that is MyCAA accredited must take the funds.

Unsure if you qualify for the program?

Below, we break down what the eligibility requirements are for military spouses to use MyCAA.

Am I Eligible for MyCAA?

Like most government programs, MyCAA serves a very specific purpose for certain military spouses. This benefit works well for spouses who need to get professional credentials to sustain a portable career.

Eligible individuals include:

Spouses whose sponsor is in the National Guard and reserve component in these same pay grades also qualify for the MyCAA benefit.

Who is not eligible for MyCAA?

The list of those who are not eligible for MyCAA is a bit longer than those who are eligible. Check the information below to see if you fall into one of these categories. If you do, you may have to look for educational assistance elsewhere.

Non-eligible individuals include:

How To Apply For MyCAA

If you’re ready to start schooling soon, now is the time to get your account and paperwork in order. The government takes its time with processing most all documents, so if you know using your MyCAA benefit is what you want to do, start sooner rather than later.

Your first step to learning more and getting into the MyCAA system is getting into the MyCAA Spouse Portal to start your profile. This will confirm your DEERS status to ensure you meet the eligibility requirements as listed above.

Once your account is approved, you’ll be able to navigate through the portal to learn more about how the MyCAA program works.

If the portal is giving you a hard time, you can always reach out to a SECO Career Counselor through the Department of Defense. They’ll be able to provide you with personalized guidance and address any questions you have. You can reach career counselors at 800-342-9647. Otherwise, reach out for help via the message box feature inside the portal for the fastest service.

Interested in a MedCerts program? Learn more about how to apply as a military spouse and use your MyCAA benefit. Request information today!


Seraine Page

Seraine Page is a freelance writer based out of Florida with over a decade of writing experience. As an award-winning journalist, she loves creating content to engage, educate, and entertain MedCerts readers.

Written July 19, 2019

Share This Article


Do you want to discuss your career path?

Request a FREE consultation with one of our Education Consultants.

  • Fully online training
  • One-on-one orientation and support
  • Career services
  • Exam fees included
  • Short-term programs

Financial assistance

If you are a military spouse or your training is provided through the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA), you may be eligible for financial assistance to cover all or some of your tuition.

“This decision is a no brainer!” —Kara B.

Read Our Reviews

Newest Articles