If you're interested in a career in the pharmacy industry, there are multiple starting points to dive into the field.
Pharmacists, pharmaceutical sales reps, and pharmacy technicians are just a few of the career opportunities available.
Becoming a pharmacy technician is the easiest path, though.
Working as a pharmacy technician can help you develop a better understanding of the pharmaceutical industry. If you plan to become a pharmacist one day, pharmacy technician training is a great first step.
Life in the pharmaceutical industry can be quite rewarding, especially since many people can’t live without their daily medicine. Pharmaceutical medicine offers progress against diseases like HIV/AIDS, cancer, and cardiovascular disease, for example. As a pharmacy technician, you directly impact how efficiently those patients get their meds.
Ready to learn more about the pharmacy technician field?
Here are some interesting facts and stats about a career as a pharmacy technician:
1. Pharmacy technicians make $32,700 per year or about $15.72 per hour.
2. It’s estimated 52% of pharmacy technicians work in pharmacies and drugstores.
3. Pharmacy technicians need at least a high school diploma or equivalent.
4. During pharmacy technician training, you do a lot of on-the-job learning.
5. In some states, an employer may require pharmacy technicians to be certified.
6. As of 2017, there were 309 fully accredited pharmacy technician programs, including some retail drugstore chains.
7. Each state regulates its own laws to decide which duties pharmacy technicians can perform.
8. As of 2016, 402,500 jobs were held by pharmacy technicians.
9. A recent 2018 Deloitte report found prescription drugs sales are expected to grow at a 6.5% rate in the next 5 years, meaning pharmacy techs will be busier than ever.
10. California has the highest pay for pharmacy technicians with a mean wage of $20.48 per hour.
As the pharmacy industry continues to grow due to demands from an aging population and individuals impacted by chronic diseases, more qualified pharmacy technicians will be needed.
From 2016 to 2026, the industry is expected to grow by 12%.
Both pharmacists and pharmacy technicians will need to work together in order to fill industry demands, including unique tasks like giving patients flu shots.
Overall, the industry needs certified pharmacy technicians who are detail-oriented and compassionate about helping others along their journey to their best health.
Curious about pharmacy technician training? Head on over to our information page to learn more about our online pharmacy technician specialist program and how we place graduates with companies like Walgreens and CVS!
If you are a military spouse or your training is provided through the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA), you may be eligible for financial assistance to cover all or some of your tuition.
Military Topics Information Technology Topics
Information technology is one of the most portable career fields out there....
By 2028, an estimated 154,900 jobs will be added to the field of medical as...
There are a lot of jobs to be had in healthcare. Demand for medical service...