Walgreens Pharmacy Technician Externship Program
MedCerts has reached a nationwide agreement with Walgreens Pharmacy that will give Pharmacy Technician students an edge when preparing for the PTCE exam, and will set our graduates apart within the job market!
Students participating in the MedCerts Pharmacy Technician program receive comprehensive online instruction designed to lay a solid foundation of knowledge. The Walgreens externship is the capstone of the Learning Experience, allowing the student to apply what they have learned in a real world environment. Walgreens has developed a cutting edge training program, which has been refined and perfected by the nation’s leading pharmacy chain. Students work closely with trained Pharmacists and Technicians, where a “hands-on” learning approach is applied.
The Walgreens Externship is approximately 160 Hours in length, and is available at virtually every Walgreens Pharmacy location in the United States (over 8000 locations to choose from!). See below for details on this exciting opportunity
In addition to the comprehensive training through MedCerts, externs receive ASHP Accredited training from Walgreens that provides first-hand experience with the duties of a pharmacy technician and your responsibilities to the patient and their wellness. Externs will be exposed to cutting-edge pharmacy technology and will be trained by the best pharmacists in the industry.
Externs May Complete the Following Tasks Under Supervision
- Assist patients dropping off prescriptions
- Assist patients picking up prescriptions, but cannot use the register
- Enter prescriptions into the computer while being supervised
- Enter patient’s insurance info into the computer
- Answer incoming phone calls and route to pharmacist when necessary
- Return outdated/damaged drugs under supervision
- Restock pharmacy shelves
- Check in daily medication replenishments under supervision
- Order medications from supplier daily under supervision
- 18 years old and high school diploma or GED
- Externships are currently ONLY available in the United States
- Externs must be available on a full-time basis (typically 25-40 hours per week)
- There may be additional requirements on a store by store or state by state basis, which will be presented to the student at the time of application or acceptance.
- Sign “Pharmacy Visitor Agreement” (as required by Walgreens)
- Sign “Pharmacy Externship Agreement” (as required by MedCerts)
- Training from the best pharmacists in the industry.
- Walgreens estimates that 60-70% of their current Pharmacy Technicians were hired after completing an externship!!
- The combination of school instruction, externship, and certification set you apart in the job market.
- Hands-on learning that can only be accomplished on the job.
- State-specific training to meet the requirements of State Board of Pharmacy.
- Externship Participants have a significantly higher pass rate on the PTCE Exam.
Application and Placement Instructions
When nearing the completion of your Pharmacy Technician program, you will be contacted by the Student Services department with details on how to participate in the Walgreens Externship. Students are allowed to choose up to three (3) Walgreens locations from where they would like to extern. Walgreens will do its best to place an extern in their top choice, however, they cannot guarantee placement.